Compost Making Course
Practical Organic Compost Making and its use
Wednesday 30th May 2018
10am – 3.30pm
Sue Mabberley at Nant-y-bedd, Fforest Coal Pit, Abergavenny, NP7 7LY
Composting is a key element of organic growing. Transforming waste products from kitchen and garden into microbially active compost to enrich the soil is an immensely satisfying process.
We will begin the day with an indoor session on the theory behind the process of successful compost making and different approaches including traditional bins and how to make a compost windrow.
Following a delicious 2-course home-made organic lunch we will move into the garden to make a compost windrow and tour the garden to see composting in action – bins at different stages of the process, including leafmould bins and compost and leafmould in use in the garden, including potting compost mixes.
The workshop will cover:
- why we should all make compost
- the basics of a controlled aerobic composting process including what materials are suitable for composting, the importance of mixing materials and temperature control
- how to sort out a compost heap/bin which isn’t performing
- how to speed up the process
- how to use your compost in the garden, potting mixes and mulches and no-dig veg growing
- how to make leafmould and its uses in the garden
Level of expertise required?
The workshop will be equally suitable for novice or seasoned composters.
Bring with you
Sensible shoes and outdoor wear.
Go away with
Lots of ideas, free sachet of organic compost activator to get you started and loads of enthusiasm – we guarantee!
Booking a place
Places are limited to 10 to ensure maximum opportunity for discussion.
To book please phone Sue on 01873 890219 or e-mail email@example.com
Cost £45 Special introductory offer
The course will be led by Sue Mabberley. Sue has a First Class Honours degree in Environmental Systems, has professionally devised and delivered practical environmental training courses and most importantly has gardened organically at Nant-y-bedd Garden for nearly 40 years making fantastic compost.